KHQ Weather Forecasters to Serve as Guest Coaches, as “Eagle Week” Underway
Tickets are still on sale for the culminating event Saturday – the 32nd Annual Killin Dinner, Dance and Auction
A pair of KHQ TV Weather Authority Forecasters will serve as guest coaches at this week’s Red-White Game at Roos Field, as “Eagle Week” is underway at Eastern Washington University.
Leslie Lowe and Blake Jensen will be on hand Saturday (April 27) at 2 p.m. at “The Inferno” when Eastern’s offense takes on the defense. The spring football scrimmage is being televised live by KHQ’s sister station, SWX, with Sam Adams, Bill Ames and Larry Weir providing the commentary.
A slate of events have been added to create “Eagle Week” April 22-27 at Eastern Washington University, augmenting the already-released events taking place as part of the 32nd-Annual Orland Killin Weekend in Cheney, Wash.
The marquee and culminating event of the week is the Killin Dinner, Dance and Auction, which takes place on Saturday, April 27 at 4:30 p.m. Tickets are still on sale, with information available at www.goeags.com.
Eagle Week also includes a special viewing of the documentary from EWU’s 2010 National Championship, the sold-out annual Coaches Golf Tournament and a scrimmage by the EWU Volleyball Team are the additional events taking place during the week. A visit to an area elementary school by the Eagle mascot “Swoop” will also take place during the week. In addition, EWU apparel and season tickets will be sold on Friday, April 26, at an EWU Bookstore kiosk located at Riverpark Square in Spokane.
Below is the current day-by-day schedule of the events taking place as part of “Eagle Week.”
EAGLE WEEK SCHEDULE
Wednesday, April 24
* 6 p.m. – Viewing of “The Road to the Championship” – The “Q” at Northern Quest Casino & Resort – No Admission Charge . . . Join Eagle fans for no-host food and beverages, and re-live the excitement of the fairytale season that led the Eagles all the way to Frisco, Texas, for the 2010 NCAA Division I Championship. The story begins with the inaugural year of “The Inferno” at Roos Field, and includes the colossal defeat of Montana, a romp through the Big Sky schedule, three spectacular home playoff wins and then climaxes with the national title. The video was produced and edited by Davin Perry.
Friday, April 26
* Noon to 5 p.m. – Bookstore Kiosk at Riverpark Square in Downtown Spokane . . . The EWU Bookstore will be selling apparel at a first-floor kiosk at Riverpark Square in downtown Spokane. Representatives of the Eastern Athletic department will also be on hand selling football season tickets for the 2013 season, which includes five home games at “The Inferno” at Roos Field in Cheney.
* Noon -- 26th Annual Coaches Golf Tournament – Fairways Golf Course – SOLD OUT . . . Fans and former players will be joining the Eagle Football coaching staff for 18 holes of golfing fun. The event has sold out.
Saturday, April 27
* Noon – EWU Volleyball Scrimmage – EWU Sports & Recreation Center Courts -- No Admission Charge . . . The Eagles, under the direction of Wade Benson, give fans a sneak peak of the 2013 squad. Benson returns for his second stint as EWU’s head coach, after helping lead EWU to one NCAA Tournament berth, three Big Sky regular season titles and one Big Sky Tournament championship. He had an impressive record of 154-55 (.737) from 2000-06, and his Big Sky record during that time of 78-24 (.765) still ranks among the top four in conference history.
* 2 p.m. – Red-White Game – Roos Field – No Admission Charge . . . The Eagles will conclude their third week of spring football practice with their annual game at “The Inferno.” Serving as guest coaches will be KHQ TV Weather Authority Forecasters Leslie Lowe and Blake Jensen The game will be televised live by SWX (SWX Digital 6.2 in Spokane, 25.3 in the Tri-Cities & 23.3 in the Yakima area; Comcast 115; Davis Cable 514/81.2/12; Time Warner 306; Charter 287, Cable One 466; Northland Cable 115).
* 4:30 p.m. -- 32nd Annual Killin Dinner/Dance/Auction – EWU Sports & Recreation Center -- $100 per person or $700 for a table of 8 . . . The event starts with a social hour and auction at 4:30 p.m., followed by the dinner (6:15 p.m.), program/presentations/live auction (7:15 p.m.) and dancing (8 p.m.). Besides online at www.goeags.com, tickets may also be obtained by calling 509-359-2463 or 1-800-648-7697. Net proceeds benefit areas of greatest need within Eastern Athletics. The event is named in honor of Orland Killin, who, along with his wife Bernice, helped create the event. Killin was a man immensely dedicated to academics and the integrity of Eastern Washington University, serving as professor, faculty athletic representative and faculty president. He was an Eastern football letter winner in 1941-42.
MORE ON LESLIE LOWE FROM KHQ WEB SITE
Leslie Lowe's broadcast career began in radio as the co-host of a top rated Adult Contemporary station back in 2001. She transitioned to television in 2003 as a weekend weather anchor and hasn't looked back since. In December of 2008, Leslie joined the KHQ weather team . . . just in time for record a breaking snow season!
Leslie has been seen and heard in numerous local and national television commercials as well as in motion pictures -- and holds her Screen Actors Guild card. In addition she hosted the half-hour television program "Explorer Television" spotlighting areas around the Inland Northwest.
Leslie loves to meet and work with all of the amazing people in our area. She has proudly been involved with Candle Lighters, Spokane SIDS Foundation, Miss Spokane, Project Beauty Share and My Sister’s Closet. Leslie has also delivered meals for Meals on Wheels, and is thrilled to be the emcee for the Spokane Lilac Festival Family Night, its Coronation Program and the Royal Tea Party. Some of her favorite moments have been jumping into the freezing cold waters of Medical Lake and rappelling down the 20 stories of the Bank of America building, all for the love of Special Olympics!
Leslie attended Central Oregon Community College, The American School of Broadcast and Mississippi State University.
When Leslie isn't working she can be found working out in some capacity, she loves running, cycling, Pilates and is hoping to find a little more time to golf! Leslie and her husband have raised their children here and are proud to call Spokane home.
MORE ON BLAKE JENSEN FROM KHQ WEBSITE
Blake Jensen joined the KHQ news team in July of 2011 as a weekday morning reporter and anchor on Saturday mornings. Blake moved to Spokane from the Tri-Cities after working at KHQ's sister station KNDU in Kennewick.
While at KNDU, Blake started as the morning reporter for "Northwest Today". Soon after, he stepped into the role of the morning Weather Forecaster, forecasting weather for Central and Southeastern Washington.
Blake is a Washington native and graduated from Washington State University in 2009 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Broadcast Journalism. While at WSU, Blake co-anchored the sports show "Inside the Lines" (modeled after ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption") on WSU's award winning Cable 8 News.
When he's not working, Blake enjoys anything outdoors, especially golfing and fishing.