Fan voting takes place to select the winner at 77th-Annual Sports Star of the Year presented by Root Sports in Seattle on Jan. 25
The national champion Eastern Washington University football team has been selected as a finalist in the “Sports Story of the Year” category, as the Seattle Sports Commission announced Tuesday (Dec. 6) the nominees for the 77th Annual Sports Star of the Year, presented by Root Sports™.
The winners in four categories will be announced on Jan. 25 at the event honoring athletes, coaches, media figures, stories, sports executives and others in or from the state of Washington for their achievements during the previous year or season. Head football coach Beau Baldwin and athletic director Bill Chaves will represent EWU.
Fans may vote for their favorite nominee in the Professional, Male, Female and Sports Story of the Year categories online at www.seattlesports.org. The public is encouraged to vote through Jan. 20 at 5 p.m. Pacific time, and may vote once every 24 hours. Winners will be announced during the event on Wednesday, Jan. 25 at Benaroya Hall in Seattle.
Nominees were selected by the Sports Star of the Year Committee, which is comprised of local sports historians, media and representatives of all major programs and franchises. Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event.
Tickets are available to the public, and cost either $75 (includes the pre-show reception with complimentary beverages and heavy appetizers and the opportunity to mingle with the sports celebrities) or $35 (show only). Tickets may be purchased at www.benaroyahall.com or by calling 206-215-4747.
Nominees for the Sports Story of the Year:
- Eastern Washington Football wins NCAA FCS National Championship
- Seahawks stun the Saints in NFC Playoffs
- Sounders FC wins third straight US Open Cup
- Locals Hope Solo and Stephanie Cox lead the US Women’s Soccer team to the World Cup Final
- University of Washington Crew wins third National Title in last five years
Nominees for Professional Sports Star of the Year:
- Jason Terry (Dallas Mavericks)
- Brandon League (Seattle Mariners)
- Dave Villwock (Hydroplane Driver)
- Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders FC)
- Earl Thomas (Seattle Seahawks)
Nominees for the Male Sports Star of the Year:
- Chris Polk (University of Washington Football)
- Chris Williams (University of Washington Golf)
- Isaiah Thomas (University of Washington Basketball)
- Jeshua Anderson (Washington State University Track)
- Nathan Adrian (University of California Swimming)
Nominees for the Female Sports Star of the Year:
- Courtney Vandersloot (Gonzaga University Basketball)
- Jenn Salling (University of Washington Softball)
- Julie Woodward (Seattle University Women’s Soccer Head Coach)
- Maddie Meyers (Northwest High School Runner)
- Queen Underwood (USA Boxing)