Fan voting continues through Jan. 20, with Eastern Football on the finalist list for “Sports Story of the Year” accolades
With the Eastern Washington University Football Team one of the finalists, tickets and fan voting are still available for the 77th Annual Sports Star of the Year presented by Root Sports™ on Wednesday, Jan. 25, at Benaroya Hall in Seattle, Wash.
The winner of the 2010 NCAA Division I Football Championship back on Jan. 7, 2011, Eastern has been selected as a finalist in the “Sports Story of the Year” category, which was announced by the Seattle Sports Commission on Dec. 6. The winners in four categories will be announced on Jan. 25 at the event honoring athletes, coaches, media figures, stories, sports executives and others in or from the state of Washington for their achievements during the previous year or season. Head football coach Beau Baldwin and athletic director Bill Chaves will represent EWU.
Baldwin and Chaves are hoping that a large number of Eastern fans in the Puget Sound area join them to support EWU’s nomination. Tickets cost either $75 (includes the pre-show reception with complimentary beverages and heavy appetizers and the opportunity to mingle with the sports celebrities) or $35 (show only). Tickets may be purchased at www.benaroyahall.com or by calling 206-215-4747.
Fans may vote for their favorite nominee in the Professional, Male, Female and Sports Story of the Year categories online at www.seattlesports.org. The public is encouraged to vote through Jan. 20 at 5 p.m. Pacific time, and may vote once every 24 hours.
Nominees were selected by the Sports Star of the Year Committee, which is comprised of local sports historians, media and representatives of all major programs and franchises. Since its creation in 1936, there have been nearly 100 Sports Stars honored at this event.
Nominees for Professional Sports Star of the Year:
- Jason Terry (Dallas Mavericks)
- Brandon League (Seattle Mariners)
- Dave Villwock (Hydroplane Driver)
- Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders FC)
- Earl Thomas (Seattle Seahawks)
Nominees for the Male Sports Star of the Year:
- Chris Polk (University of Washington Football)
- Chris Williams (University of Washington Golf)
- Isaiah Thomas (University of Washington Basketball)
- Jeshua Anderson (Washington State University Track)
- Nathan Adrian (University of California Swimming)
Nominees for the Female Sports Star of the Year:
- Courtney Vandersloot (Gonzaga University Basketball)
- Jenn Salling (University of Washington Softball)
- Julie Woodward (Seattle University Women’s Soccer Head Coach)
- Maddie Meyers (Northwest High School Runner)
- Queen Underwood (USA Boxing)
Nominees for the Sports Story of the Year:
- Eastern Washington Football wins NCAA FCS National Championship
- Seahawks stun the Saints in NFC Playoffs
- Sounders FC wins third straight US Open Cup
- Locals Hope Solo and Stephanie Cox lead the US Women’s Soccer team to the World Cup Final
- University of Washington Crew wins third National Title in last five years