Jan. 24, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men’s tennis team outlasted Air Force in a road contest on Saturday morning (Jan. 24) by a 5-2 score to improve to 3-3 on the season. The Eagles open Big Sky Conference play at Northern Colorado in a Sunday contest (Jan. 25). First serve set for 8 a.m. Pacific Time.
The Eagles grabbed control of today’s contest by taking the doubles point with wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. Kyle Schraeder and Nico Riego de Dios were successful in their match, 8-4, while Daniel Pez and Kevin Anderson outscored their opponents on court three, 8-6.
Eastern then took an insurmountable 5-0 lead with wins in the first four singles matches to finish. Schraeder rallied from a first-set loss for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 victory in the No. 1 match. Riego de Dios claimed a tiebreaker win in the first set en route to a 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 victory on court two.
Art Karas used the momentum of a dramatic first set to win the second stanza convincingly in a 7-5, 6-1 victory in the No. 3 position. Pez outscored his opponent on court four by 6-4, 6-4 scores.
Tomorrow’s match will serve as the season-opening contest for Northern Colorado, who went 1-14 a year ago, 0-8 in Big Sky play.
Eastern Washington vs Air Force
Jan 24, 2009 at Colorado Springs, Colo.
Eastern Washington 5, Air Force 2
1. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. FRANCIS, Austin (AFA) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. HALL, Cody (AFA) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
3. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. RODGERS, Brett (AFA) 7-5, 6-1
4. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. GIES, Michael (AFA) 6-4, 6-4
5. SOSTER, Taylor (AFA) def. Norling, Kenneth (EWU-M) 6-2, 6-4
6. BUCKINGHAM, Johnny (AFA) def. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) 3-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-1)
1. SCHRAEDER, Kyle/RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico (EWU-M) def. FRANCIS, Austin/HALL, Cody (AFA) 8-4
2. SOSTER, Taylor/RODGERS, Brett (AFA) def. KARAS, Art/NORLING, Kenneth (EWU-M) 8-7 (7-5)
3. PEZ, Daniel/ANDERSON, Kevin (EWU-M) def. GIES, Michael/BUCKINGHAM, Johnny (AFA) 8-6