Feb. 12, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team (3-2) won its third straight match on Tuesday night (Feb. 12), shutting out the visiting Gonzaga Bulldogs 7-0. The match serves as Eastern's last one prior to the commencement of Big Sky Conference play at Montana State on Feb. 22.
"I'm really happy with the way the guys performed tonight," interim head coach Darren Haworth said. "We came out and played well and took care of business. It was a great match for us leading into conference play."
The Eagles took immediate control of the contest by sweeping all three doubles matches and claiming the doubles point. The most dominating win came courtesy of Art Karas and Nico Riego de Dios, as the tandem earned an 8-0 whitewashing over Cooper Fratt and Conor Feeney in the match on the third court.
Eastern claimed its victory pretty quickly after singles play started, as the Eagles won the first three matches to finish in quick fashion. Pannhara Mam was successful, 6-1, 6-2, in his contest on court one versus Roman Dojcak.
Each of the singles matches saw the Eastern players prevail in straight sets with the lone exception being court six, where Patrick Millican rallied from a 6-4 loss in the first set to dominate the rest of the way in a 4-6, 6-0, (10-3) win.
Gonzaga vs Eastern Washington
2/12/08 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Gonzaga 0
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Roman Dojcak (GU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Zack Radetzky (GU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Stefan Feddersen (GU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Art Karas (EWU) def. Cooper Fratt (GU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Conor Feeney (GU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Charles Adams (GU) 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Roman Dojcak/Stefan Feddersen (GU) 8-2
2. Jonathan Davis/Patrick Millican (EWU) def. Charles Adams/Zack Radetzky (GU) 8-4
3. Nico Riego de Dios/Art Karas (EWU) def. Cooper Fratt/Conor Feeney (GU) 8-0
Eastern Washington 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,1,4,3,5,6)