Feb. 19, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men’s tennis team won its third match in a row on Wednesday evening (Feb. 18) at the Spokane Racquet Club, defeating host Gonzaga for the fourth consecutive time, 6-1.
The Eagles now look ahead to a showdown on Friday (Feb. 20), as Sacramento State will play Eastern in a 3 p.m. contest. It will serve as a rematch of the 2008 Big Sky Conference title contest, which saw the Eagles rally from down 3-1 for a dramatic 4-3 win over the regular-season champion and hosts Hornets and earn their first-ever Big Sky title.
In tonight’s contest, EWU took 2-of-3 doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Most dramatically, Pannhara Mam saw his first action of the spring season, teaming with Art Karas for a clutch 9-8 (7-5) win at No. 2.
The Eagles then took 5-of-6 singles contests. Kyle Schraeder had the most dominating win, defeating his opponent on the second court by 6-1, 6-0 scores. Nico Riego de Dios also played at a top level, winning, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1.
Eastern’s match with Sacramento State on Friday will take place at the Jim Thorpe Fieldhouse, EWU’s indoor facility located directly to the south of Reese Court, the home of Eastern’s basketball and volleyball teams. The contest will be the first of six the Eagles will have at home in 2009.
Eastern Washington vs Gonzaga
Feb 18, 2009 at Spokane, Wash.
Eastern Washington 6, Gonzaga 1
1. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. FEDDERSEN, Steffan (GU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. DOCJAK, Roman (GU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Mam, Pannhara (EWU-M) def. FEENEY, Conor (GU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. SULLIVAN, Scott (GU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. DAVIS, Jake (GU) 6-3, 6-4
6. FALKOWSKI, Tomasz (GU) def. Norling, Kenneth (EWU-M) 6-4, 6-4
1. RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico/SCHRAEDER, Kyle (EWU-M) def. FEENEY, Conor/DAVIS, Jake (GU) 8-1
2. MAM, Pannhara/KARAS, Art (EWU-M) def. SULLIVAN, Scott/DOCJAK, Roman (GU) 9-8 (7-5)
3. FALKOWSKI, Tomasz/FEDDERSEN, Steffan (GU) def. NORLING, Kenneth/PEZ, Daniel (EWU-M) 8-5
Eastern Washington 5-3