Feb. 20, 2009
The highlight of the day for the Eastern Washington University men’s tennis team was impressive, albeit bittersweet, as Eastern’s No. 1 doubles team toppled the 59th-ranked duo in the country in an epic contest, 9-8 (15-13).
Unfortunately for the Eagles, the visiting Hornets, who have now won 19-of-20 versus Big Sky Conference opponents, claimed the other doubles and singles contests to defeat Eastern Washington by a 7-0 score on Friday afternoon (Feb. 20).
In that doubles contest, Eastern’s Nico Riego de Dios and Kyle Schraeder had eight match points, while the Hornet duo of Anton Stryhas and Kiryl Harbatsiuk had two.
At the point the Eagles held a 12-11 advantage, the Hornet pair broke serve twice to grab its second match point at 13-12. The Eagles then returned the favor by breaking serve twice themselves to go up 14-13 before claiming the 15-13 win.
The best singles performance by an Eagle came courtesy of Art Karas, who rallied to claim a tight second set before falling in his contest, 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), (10-5).
Eastern Washington dropped to 5-4, 1-1 in Big Sky matches, while the Hornets improved to 3-4 (all four losses coming to top-20 opponents) and 1-0 in league play.
Today’s contest was a rematch of the Big Sky championship match from a year ago, which saw Eastern Washington rally from 3-1 down for a 4-3 win to claim its first-ever Big Sky title and NCAA Championship berth.
The Eagles next play on Feb. 28 in Portland, Ore., versus Portland at 1 p.m. and Linfield at 6 p.m.
Sacramento State vs Eastern Washington
Feb 20, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Sacramento State 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. #108 HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) def. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) 6-4, 6-4
2. STRYHAS, Anton (SAC) def. Mam, Pannhara (EWU-M) 6-4, 6-2
3. CHING, Holden (SAC) def. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) 6-3, 6-3
4. SMITH, Jason (SAC) def. Karas, Art (EWU-M) 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 1-0 (10-5)
5. STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) 6-3, 6-3
6. KLIMENKA, Artur (SAC) def. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) 6-3, 6-3
1. SCHRAEDER, Kyle/RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico (EWU-M) def. #59 STRYHAS, Anton/HARBATSIUK, Kiryl (SAC) 9-8 (15-13)
2. CHING, Holden/STARCEVIC, Marko (SAC) def. SANCHEZ, Julian/NORLING, Kenneth (EWU-M) 8-3
3. KLIMENKA, Artur/SMITH, Jason (SAC) def. MAM, Pannhara/KARAS, Art (EWU-M) 8-3
Sacramento State 3-4, 1-0 BSC
Eastern Washington 5-4, 1-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6)