March 13, 2009
The Eastern Washington University men’s tennis team rallied from a 1-0 deficit after losing the doubles point to outscore Montana 5-2 in a Big Sky Conference match on Friday afternoon (March 13).
Clinching the team win was Art Karas, who rallied from down two match points for a comeback 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 victory on court three. After trailing the first set 5-2, he held serve to make it 5-3 and then broke serve to pull to within 5-4, staving off those two match points to do so. He then rode his momentum to claim the five games of the match.
Karas and Kevin Anderson claimed Eastern’s lone doubles win of the day, 8-3, as Montana earned the doubles tally and entered singles play with a 1-0 lead.
However, the Eagles stormed back with wins in each of the first four singles matches to complete play and 5-of-6 overall. First off the court was Daniel Pez, following a 6-4, 6-3 win. He was followed by Nico Riego de Dios and Kyle Schraeder, who had 6-2, 6-0 and 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 victories, respectively.
Julian Sanchez had the final result of the day, a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 win on court five.
The Eagles will now focus on winter quarter finals before playing two matches in Lewiston, Idaho, on March 22. Eastern faces host Lewis-Clark State at 1:30 p.m. before taking on Bethany (Kan.) at 5 p.m.
Montana vs Eastern Washington
Mar 13, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 5, Montana 2
1. Riego De Dios, Nico (EWU-M) def. BORKOWSKI, Mikolaj (UM) 6-2, 6-0
2. Schraeder, Kyle (EWU-M) def. DEKTAR, Colin (UM) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
3. Karas, Art (EWU-M) def. RAW, Felipe (UM) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
4. Pez, Daniel (EWU-M) def. RAMOS, Raydner (UM) 6-4, 6-3
5. Sanchez, Julian (EWU-M) def. CYSNEIROS, David (UM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
6. KUSCHKE, Carl (UM) def. Henninger, Chad (EWU-M) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
1. BORKOWSKI, Mikolaj/KUSCHKE, Carl (UM) def. SCHRAEDER, Kyle/RIEGO DE DIOS, Nico (EWU-M) 8-4
2. RAW, Felipe/RAMOS, Raydner (UM) def. PEZ, Daniel/SANCHEZ, Julian (EWU-M) 8-6
3. KARAS, Art/ANDERSON, Kevin (EWU-M) def. DEKTAR, Colin/CYSNEIROS, David (UM) 8-3
Montana 2-2, 1-1 BSC
Eastern Washington 8-6, 3-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,2,3,6,5)