March 28, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team lost a heartbreaker to Sacramento State on Friday afternoon (March 28), 4-3, after the final singles match to finish went down to the wire. The match was a battle between a pair of Big Sky Conference teams who entered the day with unblemished league records.
The teams battled all afternoon and, with the score tied 3-3, all eyes turned to court five where Sacramento State's Sven-David Rueff outlasted Kenneth Norling, 6-3, 6-7 (7-9), 6-4, to seal the win for the host Hornets (11-7, 5-0 BSC).
The intense league contest went back-and-forth the entire day, as the Eagles (10-6, 3-1 BSC) responded to losing the first doubles match by a large margin to claim the other two match-ups and earn the all-important doubles point. Eastern then rallied from 2-1 and 3-2 deficits to tie the score at 2- and 3-all, respectively, before falling.
Sacramento State, the defending league champion, has now won 14 straight over Big Sky teams.
The Eagles will now take seven days off from competition before taking a trip to the Rose City to take on both Portland (April 5) and Portland State (April 6). Each contest will begin at 10 a.m.
Eastern Washington vs Sacramento State
3/28/08 at Sacramento, Calif.
Sacramento State 4, Eastern Washington 3
1. Anton Stryhas (SAC) def. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Artur Klimenka (SAC) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
4. Holden Ching (SAC) def. Art Karas (EWU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Sven-David Rueff (SAC) def. Kenneth Norling (EWU) 6-3, 6-7 (7-9), 6-4
6. Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Ronan Conlon (SAC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Anton Stryhas/Kiryl Harbatsiuk (SAC) def. Kyle Schraeder/Pannhara Mam (EWU) 8-2
2. Patrick Millican/Jonathan Davis (EWU) def. Artur Klimenka/Sven-David Rueff (SAC) 8-4
3. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Holden Ching/Ronan Conlon (SAC) 8-4
Eastern Washington 10-6, 3-1 BSC
Sacramento State 11-7, 5-0 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,6,3,2,5)