Wins Keep Coming
April 6, 2008
The Eastern Washington University men's tennis team completed a weekend sweep of the Rose City schools with a 7-0 blanking of Portland State in a Big Sky Conference match on Sunday morning (April 6). That followed a clutch 4-3 win over Portland the day before.
The Eagles (12-6, 4-1 BSC) have now moved just two wins shy of the school record (since the NCAA Division I era commenced in 1984) and just trail the 2007 and 1985 squads in the record book. Those teams went 14-12 and 13-10, respectively.
Eastern Washington is also working on putting a stranglehold on second place in the league standings (Sacramento State at 7-0 is one win from clinching the outright regular-season title; the Hornets nearly escaped its contest versus Eastern with a 4-3 home win on March 28). A second-place finish would allow Eastern to earn an all-important bye into the Big Sky semifinals.
In today's contest, every contest ended in straight sets with the exception of Jonathan Davis' match; the senior was able to finish off a dramatic 6-4, 4-6, (10-6) victory. Eastern also took all three doubles matches.
Next up for Eastern Washington is the return contest with rival Gonzaga (6-12). The Eagles whitewashed the Bulldogs 7-0 at home on Feb. 12, and the teams will meet in Spokane at 3 p.m. on Wednesday (April 9). EWU then finishes the 2008 regular season with three straight league contests.
Eastern Washington vs Portland State
4/6/08 at Portland, Ore.
Eastern Washington 7, Portland State 0
1. Pannhara Mam (EWU) def. Kyle Erickson (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Alex VanDerschelden (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Sean Eberle (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Kenneth Norling (EWU) def. Adam Blackner (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Art Karas (EWU) def. Jeff Cero (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jonathan Davis (EWU) def. Alex Hart (PSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Pannhara Mam/Kyle Schraeder (EWU) def. Kyle Erickson/Alex Hart (PSU) 8-3
2. Jonathan Davis/Daniel Pez (EWU) def. Sean Eberle/Adam Blackner (PSU) 9-7
3. Art Karas/Nico Riego de Dios (EWU) def. Jeff Cero/Alex VanDerschelden (PSU) 8-3
Eastern Washington 12-6, 4-1 BSC
Portland State 5-12, 1-5 BSC