The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team battled in each set but ultimately fell 7-0 to the Pacific Tigers Sunday (Feb. 14) at the Thorpe Fieldhouse in Cheney, Wash.
The Eagles lost all singles and doubles matches but battled throughout against Pacific. Nobody had a tougher challenge than No. 1 singles player Caitlin Bampton, who faced Pacific's Jenifer Widjaja - the No. 60 singles player in the nation.
On the No. 2 singles court Marie Demerath fought back from a 5-0 deficit in the second set to tighten the score to 5-3 against Christina Goehl, but was unable to extend the match to a third set.
"The women played well today, both in singles and doubles," said associate head women's coach Dale Silha. "Although we didn't get the wins against a very good Pacific team, we played with heart and were competitive in every match."
The Eagles are now 4-6 on the season and continue their homestand on Feb. 20 when they host the Northern Colorado Bears. Match time is set for 9 a.m. It will be the second Big Sky match of the season for the Eagles, as they already hold a win over Portland State.
"I look forward to our next match against Northern Colorado and am hopeful we continue to have the great fan support," said Silha.
University of the Pacific 7, Eastern Washington 0
Feb 14, 2010 at Eastern Washington University (Thorpe Fieldhouse)
1. WIDJAJA, Jenifer (UOP) def. BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-1
2. GOEHL, Christina (UOP) def. DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-2
3. HANSEN, Julia (UOP) def. KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) 6-4, 6-3
4. IRVIN, Sarah (UOP) def. LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-1
5. NEZHURA, Kateryna (UOP) def. PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 6-4, 7-6
6. FISHER, Sasha (UOP) def. WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) 6-1, 7-5
1. WIDJAJA, Jenifer/FISHER, Sasha (UOP) def. KNIGHT, Kelsey/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) 8-6
2. HANSEN, Julia/IRVIN, Sarah (UOP) def. DEMERATH, Marie/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) 8-4
3. GUMENYUK, Olga/GOEHL, Christina (UOP) def. WARNER, Ryann/PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 8-1
University of the Pacific 3-5
Eastern Washington 4-6 (1-0 BSC)