Eagles Stay Undefeated in Big Sky
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team stayed undefeated in Big Sky Conference play with a thrilling 4-3 victory over the Northern Colorado Bears Saturday (Feb. 20) at the Thorpe Fieldhouse in Cheney, Wash.
With the match tied at 2-2, Judy Liening lost her first set at No. 4 singles, but dug in and won the next two sets to put the Eagles up 3-2. After a Northern Colorado win at No. 6 singles the match was tied at 3-3.
The match came down to the result of No. 5 singles. Chelsea Patton battled back from losing the first set to win the next two sets in dramatic fashion and clinch the match for EWU 4-3.
"I am very pleased with the women today," said associate head women's coach Dale Silha. "We played very well at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to easily win the doubles point. On the singles side, we had three players battle back after losing the first set and two of those players won key matches. That was critical for us today and I am so proud of the way this team stepped up to win a very important conference match."
With the win, the Eagles move to 5-6 overall and 2-0 in the Big Sky Conference. Eastern is next in action against Idaho State on Feb. 27 at home, with the match beginning at 9 a.m.
Eastern Washington 4, Northern Colorado 3
Feb 20, 2010 at Eastern Washington University (Thorpe Fieldhouse)
1. Tabatha Knop (UNC) def. BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
2. Tiffany Knop (UNC) def. DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 6-4, 7-5
3. KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) def. Jenny Whateley (UNC) 6-2, 6-1
4. LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) def. Luiza Xavier (UNC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) def. Sydney Bell (UNC) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
6. Jill Kappel (UNC) def. TOSIC, Marta (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-2
1. BAMPTON, Caitlin/KNIGHT, Kelsey (EWU-W) def. Tabatha Knop/Tiffany Knop (UNC) 8-2
2. DEMERATH, Marie/LIENING, Judy (EWU-W) def. Jenny Whateley/Sydney Bell (UNC) 8-3
3. Hannah LaForest/Jill Kappel (UNC) def. PATTON, Chelsea/WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) 8-3
Northern Colorado 1-3 (1-2 BSC)
Eastern Washington 5-6 (2-0 BSC)