Eastern captures doubles point, but Redhawks have the upper hand in singles
In its 2010 season debut, the Eastern Washington University women's tennis team suffered a tough 4-3 loss to the Redhawks of Seattle University on Saturday (Jan. 28) evening at the Spokane Racquet Club in Spokane, Wash.
Eastern (0-1) started the match strong, winning two out of three doubles matches to claim the coveted doubles point. But Eastern could not sustain the advantage through singles.
In singles action, Hedberg picked up another win when she bested Katrina Schwab at No. 2, 6-3, 6-0. Junior Ryann Warner also won her singles match in two swift sets, as she defeated Weissman at No. 4, 6-0, 6-4.
But those were the only two singles victories of the day, as Seattle managed to edge EWU with wins at No. 1, 3, 5 and 6.
For just the second time in her career, Patton earned the No. 1 singles nod. She was pitted against SU's Alexandra Farrar, who won the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-2), and then finished it off with a 6-3 victory in the second.
Uriarte fell at No. 3, 6-3, 6-3, while returning letterwinners Ricks and Nefeli Diamanti lost at No. 5 and 6, respectively. Ricks fell to Corinne Wurden, 6-3, 6-0, while Diamanti dropped a 6-3, 6-1 decision to Lucas.
Seattle University 4, Eastern Washington 3
01/28/12 at Spokane, Wash. (Spokane Racquet Club)
1. Farrar, Alexandra (SU-W) def. PATTON, Chelsea (EWU-W) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
2. HEDBERG, Moira (EWU-W) def. Schwab, Katrina (SU-W) 6-3, 6-0
3. Newman, Lindsey (SU-W) def. URIARTE, Chrissy (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-3
4. WARNER, Ryann (EWU-W) def. Weissmann, Gabriella (SU-W) 6-0, 6-4
5. Wurden, Corinne (SU-W) def. RICKS, Helon (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-0
6. Lucas, Sarah (SU-W) def. DIAMANTI, Nefeli (EWU-W) 6-3, 6-1
1. HEDBERG, Moira/URIARTE, Chrissy (EWU-W) def. Lambert, Anna/Newman, Lindsey (SU-W) 8-6
2. Schwab, Katrina/Wurden, Corinne (SU-W) def. WARNER, Ryann/NORENA, Rocio (EWU-W) 8-2
3. PATTON, Chelsea/RICKS, Helon (EWU-W) def. Lucas, Sarah/Weissmann, Gabriella (SU-W) 8-2
Seattle University (2-2)
Eastern Washington (0-1)