Feb. 8, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team ran into the buzzsaw that is No. 45 Sacramento State on Sunday morning (Feb. 8), as the visiting Hornets dispatched the Eagles by a 7-0 score, improving its winning streak over Big Sky Conference foes to 53 straight in the process.
The best performance by an Eagles doubles tandem today came courtesy of EWU's No. 2 team of Rachel Berger and Judy Liening, who fell 8-4 in their contest. In singles, three Eagles took four games in their respective matches: Berger, Liening and Caitlin Bampton.
Eastern Washington dropped to 2-3 with its loss, 0-1 in Big Sky play, while the Hornets, who have already claimed a pair of wins over ranked teams in 2009, improved to 3-0, 1-0 in league contests.
The Eagles now take an extended break from match competition, next playing host to another Big Sky contest, versus Portland State at 9 a.m. on Feb. 21. The Vikings are 1-6, 0-2 in Big Sky action, and will play Portland and Seattle University next weekend before heading to Cheney the following weekend.
This morning's match versus the Hornets was the first of five straight at home for the Eagles. Four of those five are Eastern's home Big Sky matches in 2009.
Sacramento State vs Eastern Washington
Feb 08, 2009 at Cheney, Wash.
#45 Sacramento State 7, Eastern Washington 0
1. #58 ZHELTOVA, Katrina (SAC) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-2
2. MELIUK, Maria (SAC) def. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) 6-0, 6-0
3. SCHIFRIS, Luba (SAC) def. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) 6-2, 6-2
4. BACA, Clarisse (SAC) def. King, Kasie (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-1
5. MARTINEZ, Joyce (SAC) def. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) 6-2, 6-2
6. VALENZUELA, Melissa (SAC) def. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) 6-1, 6-3
1. ZHELTOVA, Katrina/VALENZUELA, Melissa (SAC) def. MANKOVITS, Amanda/DEMERATH, Marie (EWU-W) 8-2
2. MELIUK, Maria/TSAN, Aileen (SAC) def. LIENING, Judy/BERGER, Rachel (EWU-W) 8-4
3. MARTINEZ, Joyce/BACA, Clarisse (SAC) def. KING, Kasie/BAMPTON, Caitlin (EWU-W) 8-3
Sacramento State 3-0, 1-0 BSC; National ranking #45
Eastern Washington 2-3, 0-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)