Eagles Start 1-0 in Big Sky Play for Second Straight Year
Feb. 16, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team broke away from a 2-2 tie in a Big Sky Conference road match against Portland State on Saturday morning (Feb. 16) to dominate the final three singles matches to finish play and beat the Vikings 5-2. The win allowed Eastern to start 1-0 in Big Sky play for the second consecutive season.
"This was a very important match for us to win, and the girls competed very well," interim head coach Darren Haworth said. "It was a great team effort."
With the score tied, 2-2, all eyes turned towards courts 4, 5 and 6, where the team result would be decided. That did not take long, however, as Eastern's players completely dominated their individual matches on each of those courts.
Amanda Mankovits won her contest on court four, 6-1, 6-2, while Rachel Berger clinched the team victory with a dominating 6-1, 6-1 victory at the sixth position. Finishing off the day's play was Marie Demerath with her 6-3, 6-2 victory on the fifth court.
The Eagles took control of the match by taking the first two doubles contests to complete play. Berger and Kerstyn Dolack secured a dominating 8-2 win in the third position, while Demerath and Sarah Leuenberger prevailed 8-4 on the second court.
The start of singles play saw the teams swap the first four matches to finish. After PSU won the No. 1 contest to tie the score, 1-1, Dolack finished off a comeback 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 victory on court tie to earn Eastern a 2-1 advantage. After a Portland State victory on court three, the Eagles proceeded to commence their impressive three-match finish.
Last season, the Eagles also prevailed on the road in its league-opening contest, defeating Northern Colorado in clutch fashion, 4-3, on Jan. 27.
In tennis action on Friday morning (Feb. 15), the Eagles were defeated by host Portland 5-2 in the team's first contest of three in three days to be played in the Rose City. Eastern Washington will wrap up the weekend's action with a 9 a.m. contest versus UC Riverside on Sunday (Feb. 17). The Highlanders are 3-1 entering their Saturday contest at Portland.
Eastern Washington vs Portland State
2/16/08 at Portland, Ore.
Eastern Washington 5, Portland State 2
1. Lacey Pflibsen (PSU) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Molly Knox (PSU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
3. Stephanie Fuchs (PSU) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Alyssa Ferry (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Anya Dalkin (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Caitlin Stocking (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Lacey Pflibsen/Molly Knox (PSU) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-6
2. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Alyssa Ferry/Caitlin Stocking (PSU) 8-4
3. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Stephanie Fuchs/Anya Dalkin (PSU) 8-2
Eastern Washington 1-5, 1-0 BSC
Portland State 1-5, 1-2 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)
Eastern Washington vs Portland
2/15/08 at Portland, Ore.
Portland 5, Eastern Washington 2
1. Megan Sporndli (UP) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Lindsey Griffin (UP) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Anna Gullickson (UP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Christina Feyen (UP) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Jenna Tanzer (UP) def. Rachel Berger (EWU) 7-6, 6-2
6. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Stefanie Doolittle (UP) 7-6, 6-1
1. Lindsey Griffin/Megan Sporndli (UP) def. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 8-6
2. Stefanie Doolittle/Jenna Tanzer (UP) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 8-6
3. Anna Gullickson/Audree Jenks (UP) def. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) 8-4
Eastern Washington 0-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,2,5,4,6)