Eagles Win Second Straight Match
Feb. 17, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team broke away from a 2-2 tie for the second straight day in a 4-3 win over UC Riverside on Sunday morning (Feb. 17) in Portland, Ore. The Eagles now look ahead to its annual contest at Gonzaga on Wednesday (Feb. 20).
UC Riverside claimed 2-of-3 singles contest right out the gate to tie the score 2-2. Sarah Leuenberger pulled out a clutch comeback 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 win in the No. 3 position.
But, just as it looked like the match was going to go down to the stretch, Mankovits and Berger finished off quick victories to clinch the win for Eastern. Mankovits won 6-2, 6-1, while Berger was victorious by 6-2, 6-3 scores.
On Saturday (Feb. 16), the Eagles were also tied with Portland State, 2-2, before winning the next three matches to finish, each in straight sets.
The Eastern Washington-Gonzaga match on Wednesday begins at 3 p.m. The rivals will play their return meeting in Cheney on April 10. Wednesday's match will be Eastern's last until Big Sky Conference opponent Idaho State pays a visit to the EWU campus on March 1.
UC Riverside vs Eastern Washington
2/17/08 at Portland, Ore.
Eastern Washington 4, UC Riverside 3
1. Erynne Oki (UCR) def. Kasey Knox (EWU) 7-6, 6-2
2. H.R. Espiritu (UCR) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 6-4
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Nadia Sakhakorn (UCR) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
4. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Roxanne Plata (UCR) 6-2, 6-1
5. Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR) def. Marie Demerath (EWU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Angelique Corpuz (UCR) 6-2, 6-3
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Erynne Oki/Angelique Corpuz (UCR) 8-5
2. H.R. Espiritu/Roxanne Plata (UCR) def. Marie Demerath/Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 8-4
3. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Nadia Sakhakorn/Yasaman Sakhakorn (UCR) 8-3
UC Riverside 3-3
Eastern Washington 2-5