March 1, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team may have started the 2008 season with a 0-5 record against top competition (four nationally-ranked squads were included in that quintet of contests), the Eagles have showed their resolve as of late, having taken four straight matches since then.
The most recent was a dominating 7-0 defeat of Idaho State in a home Big Sky Conference match on Saturday afternoon (March 1). The win also moved Eastern to 2-0 in the Big Sky. The four-match streak is the team's longest since the 2006 squad also claimed four straight from April 7-14 of that year.
Every singles contest was decided in straight sets today and, in fact, the Eagles outscored Idaho State by a cumulative 96-23 margin. Three Eagles only allowed two games in their respective singles contests: Kasey Knox (a 6-1, 6-1 win at 1), Amanda Mankovits (a 6-1, 6-1 win at 4) and Rachel Berger (a 6-0, 6-2 win at 6).
Eastern returns to action at 2 p.m. on Sunday with a road contest versus Lewis-Clark State. The Warriors entered this week with a 2-1 record, with their only defeat coming to NCAA Division I member Idaho, 7-0. The Eagles will then return home next weekend for a pair of Big Sky matches, versus Northern Colorado and Northern Arizona.
Idaho State vs Eastern Washington
3/1/08 at Cheney, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, Idaho State 0
1. Kasey Knox (EWU) def. Lisel Lewis (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Stephanie Roldan (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Sophie Dang (ISU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Lauren Pascoe (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Magaly Rivera (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Madison Snevily (ISU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Lisel Lewis/Lauren Pascoe (ISU) 8-3
2. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Sophie Dang/Magaly Rivera (ISU) 8-0
3. Rachel Berger/Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Stephanie Roldan/Madison Snevily (ISU) 8-2
Idaho State 0-3, 0-2 BSC
Eastern Washington 4-5, 2-0 BSC