Eagles Dominate Banana Slugs 7-0
March 23, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team moved to 8-6 on the season with a 7-0 win over UC Santa Cruz in a Sunday afternoon (March 23) match in Spokane, Wash. The Eagles have now won eight of their last nine contests.
Eastern Washington has also matched its highest win total in 15 years. Last year's team went 8-15, while the last squad to surpass that victory sum was the 1993 team (10-8).
After Amanda Mankovits became the first Eagle in two years to record a double-love victory in a spring match one day ago, two Eastern players accomplished the feat today: Kasey Knox on court one and Rachel Berger in the sixth position.
The Eagles now head to California for a pair of matches, at Pacific (3-9) at 5 p.m. on Wednesday (March 26) and at Sacramento State in a Big Sky Conference match at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday (March 27).
UC Santa Cruz vs Eastern Washington
3/23/08 at Spokane, Wash.
Eastern Washington 7, UC Santa Cruz 0
1. Kasey Knox (EWU) def. Jessica Ruth (UCSC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) def. Megan Sweeney (UCSC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
3. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) def. Taylor Mannix (UCSC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Chayla Furlong (UCSC) 6-4, 6-1
5. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Kyla Kessler Rowe (UCSC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Chrissy Nichol (UCSC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Jessica Ruth/Megan Sweeney (UCSC) 8-3
2. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) def. Chayla Furlong/Taylor Mannix (UCSC) 8-2
3. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) def. Kyla Kessler Rowe/Chrissy Nichol (UCSC) 8-1
UC Santa Cruz 4-6
Eastern Washington 8-6