Knox Posts Impressive Wins Against No. 46 Hornets
March 27, 2008
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team's efforts to snap No. 46 Sacramento State's 46-match winning streak in Big Sky Conference play came up short in a 6-1 loss to the host Hornets on Thursday afternoon (March 27).
Kasey Knox, however, contributed to the two highlights of the day for Eastern, as she posted a 6-0, 0-6, (10-6) victory over Sacramento State's top player, Melissa Valenzuela. In the process, the senior earned for Eastern its first point against the perennial Big Sky power Hornets (12-4, 4-0 BSC) since they started meeting on an annual basis in 2003.
The Eagles also battled tough in the doubles matches before conceding the doubles tally. After the Hornets had a quick win on court three, Knox and Amanda Mankovits earned an impressive 8-5 victory at No. 1, and Sarah Leuenberger and Marie Demerath were outlasted 9-7 on court two.
The Eagles (8-8, 4-2 BSC) now will focus on another Big Sky road match, as EWU will take on Montana State (5-3, 1-1 BSC) at 8 a.m. Pacific Time on Sunday (March 30).
Eastern Washington vs Sacramento State
3/27/2008 at Sacramento, Calif.
#46 Sacramento State 6, Eastern Washington 1
1. Kasey Knox (EWU) def. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) 6-0, 0-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Anastassia Lyssenko (SAC) def. Kerstyn Dolack (EWU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Sarah Leuenberger (EWU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Karina Jarlkaganova (SAC) def. Marie Demerath (EWU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Joyce Martinez (SAC) def. Amanda Mankovits (EWU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Aileen Tsan (SAC) def. Rachel Berger (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kasey Knox/Amanda Mankovits (EWU) def. Melissa Valenzuela/Joyce Martinez (SAC) 8-5
2. Karina Jarlkaganova/Luba Schifris (SAC) def. Sarah Leuenberger/Marie Demerath (EWU) 9-7
3. Anastassia Lyssenko/Aileen Tsan (SAC) def. Kerstyn Dolack/Rachel Berger (EWU) 8-1
Eastern Washington 8-8 (4-2 BSC)
Sacramento State 12-4 (4-0 BSC); National ranking #46
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,6,2,3,5,1)