Eagles Fall in Penultimate Tuneup
April 14, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team was defeated by Idaho 4-1 in a road match on Tuesday afternoon (April 14) in its second-to-last contest of the 2009 regular season.
In the contest, Rachel Berger recorded her 41st career singles win to set the school record in that category. She rallied for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-0 victory on court three to break a tie for the record she had held with Tina Dlouhy (1993-96). The senior has won nine matches this year after claiming 12, nine and 11 the last three respective seasons.
Caitlin Bampton took her opponent to the third set at 4 today before falling 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
The 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles contests were played first with the 1 and 2 matches following. Doubles matches were not played, but would have if they had been needed to determine the winning point.
The Eagles now play their final home and regular-season match in 2009 at 3 p.m. on Wednesday (April 15) versus rival Gonzaga. Seniors Berger, Amanda Mankovits and Heather Handwerk will play the final home matches of their Eastern careers.
Following the Gonzaga contest, the Eagles will place their focus on the Big Sky Championship, to be played from April 24-26 in Gold River, Calif. Eastern Washington, who will be either a 5 or 6 seed, will play a quarterfinal match at 2 p.m. on April 24.
Eastern Washington vs Idaho
Apr 14, 2009 at Moscow, Idaho
Idaho 4, Eastern Washington 1
1. PEREVOSHCHIKOVA, Maria (UI) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU-W) 6-0, 6-0
2. IRIMESCU, Silvia (UI) vs. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU-W) 6-1, unfinished
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU-W) def. COHEN, Daniela (UI) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. MACIOCHA, Barbara (UI) def. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU-W) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. ULESANU, Alexandra (UI) def. King, Kasie (EWU-W) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. LY, Yvette (UI) def. Liening, Judy (EWU-W) 6-0, 6-1
Eastern Washington 8-13
Order of finish: Singles (6,5,3,4,1)
Doubles matches were not contested.