Eagles Battle, Fall in Tough Big Sky Quarterfinal
April 24, 2009
The Eastern Washington University women's tennis team gave its
all in a Big Sky Conference quarterfinal match on Friday afternoon
(April 24), but fell short of Northern Colorado, 4-1, in Gold
With a 6-2, 6-0 win courtesy of Rachel Berger, who ended her career with a school-record 42 singles victories, the Eagles were attempting to battle back from a 3-1 deficit. However, Northern Colorado's Jennifer Whately rallied from a set deficit against Judy Liening on court six for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 victory to seal the win for the Bears.
The matches which were still ongoing at that time were on the verge of going either way, as Amanda Mankovits trailed 3-6, 6-2, 5-4, and Caitlin Bampton was down 7-5, 3-3.
Northern Colorado (7-14) took early control of the match by taking the first two doubles matches to finish to enter singles play with a 1-0 advantage.
After making it 2-0 with a one at No. 1, Berger earned her victory to cut Eastern's deficit to 2-1. At that point, UNC's Luiza Xavier claimed a 6-4, 6-4 win on court five over Kasie King to earn the Bears a 3-1 lead.
The Eagles finish their 2009 season 8-15, tying for the second-highest win total attained by an Eagle squad since the 1993 squad went 10-8 (the 2008 team went 10-14 and the 2007 squad was 8-15, as well).
Northern Colorado vs Eastern Washington
Apr 24, 2009 at Gold River, Calif.
(Gold River Racquet Club)
Northern Colorado 4, Eastern Washington 1
1. KNOP, Tabatha (NC) def. Demerath, Marie (EWU) 6-1, 5-0, retired
2. Mankovits, Amanda (EWU) vs. SANTOS, Manuela (NC) 6-3, 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
3. Berger, Rachel (EWU) def. KNOP, Tiffany (NC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Bampton, Caitlin (EWU) vs. KAPPEL, Jill (NC) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
5. XAVIER, Luiza (NC) def. King, Kasie (EWU) 6-4, 6-4
6. WHATELY, Jennifer (NC) def. Liening, Judy (EWU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
1. KNOP, Tabatha/SANTOS, Manuela (NC) def. MANKOVITS, Amanda/DEMERATH, Marie (EWU) 8-4
2. KNOP, Tiffany/XAVIER, Luiza (NC) def. LIENING, Judy/BERGER, Rachel (EWU) 8-4
3. BAMPTON, Caitlin/KING, Kasie (EWU) vs. WHATELY, Jennifer/KAPPEL, Jill (NC) 7-5, unfinished
Northern Colorado 7-14
Eastern Washington 8-15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,3,5,6)
Big Sky Championship - Quarterfinal