Eagles Open Short Big Sky Homestand with Northern Arizona
Sept. 19, 2006
Coming Up (Times Pacific; *Big Sky Conference):
· W. Volleyball - Thursday, September 21- vs *
· W. Volleyball - Saturday, September 23 - vs *
Previous Action (*Big Sky Conference):
· W. Volleyball - Saturday, September 16 - at *
· W. Volleyball - Thursday, September 14 - at *
· W. Volleyball - Tuesday, September 12 - at Gonzaga - L 2-3
· In their first eight conference matches, Eastern will play on the road for six of those. But the Eagles will play six of their last eight against the Big Sky at home.
· The Eagles (7-4, 0-2) are looking for their first conference win of the year after losing to
· Sophomore Addie Webster led the Eagles with 14 kills in the
· In the match against
· As a team, Eastern is leading the Big Sky in hitting at .254. The Eagles are also ranked second in opponent hitting percentage .138 and third in assists (13.68), kills (14.79) and service aces (1.87) per game.
· In the last eight seasons, Eastern is 71-7 at home for a .910 winning percentage. Eastern has ranked in the top 30 nationally in attendance each of those seasons. In 2005, the Eagles were ranked 29th in the nation with 1,110 fans per game.
· The Eagles have finished third or better in the Big Sky regular season each of the last 10 years and have reached the title game six-straight years. They also have had an impressive streak of five-straight seasons of winning at least 20 matches, and at least 20 wins in eight of the last nine years.
· Eastern had won five matches in a row going into the match against Gonzaga on Sept. 12, but is currently sitting on a three-match losing streak.
· This is the first time since 1995 that the Eagles have started the league 0-2. Eastern lost its first eight Big Sky matches that season and finished 3-11 in the Big Sky and 8-20 overall.
· Brittney Page leads the Big Sky in hitting percentage at .357. Also ranking in the top 10 for hitting percentage in the conference are: freshman Hayley Hills (sixth at .283), and sophomore Addie Webster (ninth at .252). Page is also third in conference for kills per game, averaging 3.84.
· Addie Webster leads her class with 3.47 kills per game which also ranks her seventh overall in the conference. She also is tied for fifth in the conference with five double-doubles.
· Freshman Amanda Yausie ranks seventh in the Big Sky Conference with 6.89 assists per game.
· Kristen Ponce and Brittney Page were named to the Best Western Classic Inn All-Tournament Team in
· On Aug. 29, Eastern's Brittney Page was named co-Big Sky player of the week along with Lindsay Haupt of
· Head Coach Wade Benson entered the 2006 season with a 134-46 (.744 winning percentage) record in six seasons with the Eagles. He entered the year 68-18 (.791) in Big Sky play with three Big Sky regular season titles. In the last four seasons alone, Benson's teams had compiled a 48-8 Big Sky record.
Comments from Head Coach Wade Benson:
· On First Home Games of the Year: "They are both big because we have started off slow. It's the first time we have been 0-2 in conference since I have been here. It is our first match at home, so we are hoping that means something to us and we can get back to our winning ways. We need to get back into the mix, and they are really big important matches for us.
· On using both Amanda Yausie and Ashley Gandauli as Setters: "Ashley has a pretty bad ankle sprain, so we will see how that is. That is going to be a big factor as to what goes on with those two setters this week."
· On How the Preseason Prepared Them for Conference: "I think our preseason was a little too soft for us. We played some pretty weak competition and I think that might have hurt us."
· On Conference Race: "People should pick us fifth or sixth if they look at what we have coming back and what we lost. Where we fit in the mix is way up in the air, but we will be a tough out. Even rebuilding, I still think people will struggle with us because we have players that are used to winning and hopefully that will transfer into some wins for us."
· On Big Sky Schedule: "It is going to be a weird schedule anyway with
· EWU Women's Volleyball Information - http://www.goeags.com
· Big Sky Conference Women's Volleyball - http://www.bigskyconf.com/sport_front.asp?sportid=107
· NCAA Women's Volleyball - http://www.ncaasports.com/volleyball/womensStory on Former Eagle Volleyball Player Janelle Ruen, now on the AVP Beach Volleyball Tour - http://goeags.cstv.com/sp